Messaggio da Roxy »

posto qui questa triste notizia... e' cosi' lontano da qui che
forse non ci riguarda. Ma io credo che chiunque, ovunque,
faccia il bene della natura e dei suoi migliori abitanti ci
riguarda. Lui che se ne e' andato cosi' giovane era una
persona in gamba con grande esperienza e umanita'
nonche il responsabile del centro di Santa Cruz che segue
i rapaci della california che amava fin dai primi anni dei suoi studi
(letto alcuni accenni nei post del forum li)
Percio' io lo sento uno della mia famiglia, la famiglia di
coloro che amano questi meravigliosi animali e come tale lo piango.

Ciao Brian, vola alto.

roxy
==========================================

June 18, 2007

Brian Walton, leader of falcon recovery effort, dies at age 55
By Jim Burns (831/459-2495)

Brian James Walton, whose leadership of the Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group was highlighted by the pivotal role the group played in the restoration of the peregrine falcon on the West Coast, died of a stroke on June 15 at a Santa Cruz hospital. Walton, who served as the coordinator of the University of California, Santa Cruz program for 31 years, was 55.

"Brian was a respected and dedicated individual with a lifelong passion for falcons," said Gary Griggs, director of UC Santa Cruz's Institute of Marine Sciences and a colleague of Walton's for the past three decades. "His and his research group's work on raptor recovery, conservation, and study will benefit these amazing birds for decades to come."

Walton, who first began studying peregrine falcons while a high school student in the Southern California city of Manhattan Beach, participated in the first California peregrine falcon survey in 1970. That survey found only two successfully nesting pairs of falcons remaining in California.

The culprit was discovered to be the compound DDT, considered to be a safe and effective agricultural insecticide in the 1940s, '50s, and '60s. Accumulating in the fatty tissue of peregrines, DDT acted to "block" the movement of calcium during eggshell formation. With abnormally thin eggshells, the species' eggs broke and peregrine embryos died at an alarming rate. In 1972, the federal government banned the compound.

Recruited by SCPBRG's two founders Ken Norris, a professor of natural history at UCSC, and Jim Roush, a Santa Cruz orthopedic veterinarian, Walton coordinated the work of field biologists and oversaw the program's breeding activities; he also became the face of the SCPBRG, speaking tirelessly of the peregrine's plight and leading fundraising efforts to support the recovery. During the height of the program's peregrine falcon captive breeding and management activities, SCPBRG employed more than 50 permanent and seasonal staff per year. These included students and other temporary employees who camped out for weeks or months to observe nest and staff-made "hack" sites.

In order to salvage thin-shelled wild eggs that would likely be broken by the incubating adults, program personnel climbed to their eyries, substituted dummy eggs for the thin-shelled eggs, and hatched as many eggs as possible in the SCPBRG laboratory.

The program's recovery efforts also proved to be a popular attraction at its original location in UCSC's Lower Quarry, as scientists, bird lovers, and the general public toured the facilities for a look at a hands-on endangered species recovery program.

In 1999, the peregrine falcon, nearly extinct two decades earlier, became one of the few endangered species to be "delisted"--removed from the endangered species list--by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Last year, SCPBRG staff conducted a statewide census of peregrines in California and documented 179 active nest territories.

In addition to its peregrine falcon work, the SCPBRG under Walton's leadership has been involved in research in captive breeding and wildlife management of eagles, condors, and other rare or endangered raptors. The program is now located at UCSC's Long Marine Laboratory.

In 2004, Walton was honored as an Audubon champion at the annual Audubon California awards luncheon in San Francisco.

Walton earned degrees in biological sciences from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo (bachelor's), and San Jose State University (master's).

"Brian's life, which was defined by tremendous accomplishment, was even more meaningful as he overcame diabetes thanks to successful pancreas and kidney transplants in the early 1990s," said his brother, Ron Walton.

A public memorial service for Walton will take place June 30 at 11 a.m. at the Santa Cruz High School baseball field. Walton's other passion was baseball, having served as a coach in the school's baseball program for almost 10 years.

Walton's survivors include his wife, Hollis Feurtado of Santa Cruz; a son, Neil Walton of Santa Cruz; a daughter, Eleanor Walton of Santa Cruz; a father, James Walton, and a brother, Ron Walton, both of Arroyo Grande, California; former wife, Cheryl Walton of Santa Cruz; and three stepchildren, Peter, Fallon, and Katie Feurtado of Santa Cruz.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Brian James Walton Memorial Fund. The fund is managed by the Bank of America; donations should be mailed to 849 Almar Avenue, Suite C, Box 332, Santa Cruz, CA 95060.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Il gatto disse: non sono un amico e non sono un servitore. Sono il gatto che cammina da solo e desidero entrare nella tua tana." Rudyard Kipling
Niseema

Messaggio da Niseema »

volerà libero con i suoi falchi? lo spero tanto! :cry:
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin
città di residenza: Padova

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Anch'io!Immagine
- São aves cheias de abismo,
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

credete di essere gli unici a scandagliare il cielo sperando di cogliere il volo di un piccolo falco?

ebbene consolatevi anche altrove e' cosi..... ecco un tipico post dal forum di San Francisco :

I went to the Long Marine Lab on Friday. After searching for about an hour with no falcons
in sight, we started to leave. On the way out we found the 3 falcons on the roof of the last
building on the right! Lil' G was sitting at one end of the roof. She was doing a little
preening and a litle napping. The E 3 birds were pancaked at the other end of the roof.
After a while the male walked over to Lil' G. I didn't see them fly but it was still a thrill to
see all 3.
(Off topic: I saw 6 condors in a tree a little south of Big Sur. It is very easy to view the
condors from a pull out on Highway 1.)

Joy

traduco in breve... Joy e' andato apposta nella zona vicino al laboratorio di santa cruz in cui e' stata liberata la piccola di George e Gracie (quella nata dal recupero dal ponte) che qui citano come Lil G ... insieme a lei era stato liberato il maschio recuperato dall'altra parte del ponte (in fase di inanellamento) e successivamente la sorellina che qui chiamano E3 dalla sigla del pilone del ponte dove era il nido.....
Quando avevano perso la speranza di vederli li scoprono tutti sullo stesso tetto dell'edificio....
e Joy informa anche di aver visto 6 condor su un albero....

somigliava molto alle conversazioni e agli avvistamenti che si raccontano qui... anche la california ha la stessa nostalgia di falchi... vi pare? :)
"Il gatto disse: non sono un amico e non sono un servitore. Sono il gatto che cammina da solo e desidero entrare nella tua tana." Rudyard Kipling
Sonia
Contatta:

Messaggio da Sonia »

Direi proprio di si...
:D :D
Non bisogna giudicare gli uomini dalle loro amicizie: Giuda frequentava persone irreprensibili! (E.M.Hemingway)

http://www.provediemozioni.it/index.php ... ale&id=234
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Si! :D
Ho trovato più volte l'espressione "pancaked" per spiaccicati, spaparanzati, mi piace, rende molto l'idea. :lol:
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

Giovanna ha scritto:Si! :D
Ho trovato più volte l'espressione "pancaked" per spiaccicati, spaparanzati, mi piace, rende molto l'idea. :lol:
si la usano molto... la mia variante personale e "venetesca" (non posso dire veneta essendo di mia invenzione..) e' "sfortaiadi" (fortaia come gio' sa di certo e gli altri no.. e' la parola veneta per la frittata, quindi significa piu' o meno vuol dire "sfrittellati" !!)
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Mi piace il tuo neologismo 'venetesco', rende! :D
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

da San Francisco:

la festa di chiusura del periodo di nidificazione e involo ha coinvolto tecnici e falchi a quanto sembra...
ecco gli avvistamenti di Janet che e' anche la biologa che ha imboccato a macinato di quaglia la piccola "Bridget" (o anche Lil G.....) di giorno e di notte appena l'uovo si era schiuso...

Just to not leave this as a no-G day; this from this afternoon at the
Marine Lab. I hadn't seen Lil-G version 1.0 and her E-3 band for a day
or so, until this afternoon. The last time I saw the E-3 male a day or
so ago he was making some "impressive moves" on the abundant cliff
swallows nearby. They were out-running him in gaining altitude, but he
was persistent in the endeavor. Good boy.

As we walked down the road to get our mail today (yes, we actually do
get out of our chairs daily), we saw first the E-3 male, then
not-so-little Lil-G who joined him off the water tower, together,
playing in the wind. Roll-overs, chittering vocalizations, talons
exposed, etc. Soon the E3 female joined in the fun. They all look
great. I don't know where they went after we lost track of them
visually, and that is a good thing ;-> I couldn't help noticing a car
stopped in the road, watching them. A Marine Lab peregrine devotee who
has posted here before, and had a lot to do with the success of this
release

Best to all, and best to the bald eagles, which were delisted today
from the national endangered and today, threatened lists.

-J
---------------------------------------

domani faranno una commemorazione di Brian Walton... che strano che le due cose cadano cosi' vicine, ma in qualche modo significativo...
Infine forse e' vero che non importa quanto stiamo qui ma come ci stiamo... e Brian che aveva subito gia' da giovane dei trapianti ha comunque seguito la sua passione e' diventato biologo ha seguito i rapaci e ha contribuito al loro recupero, e stato in mezzo ai giovani per insegnare loro ad apprezzare la natura (questi centri americani fanno attivita' diretta nelle scuole servendosi anche degli uccelli in cattivita' in particolare di quelli che non possono essere rilasciati in quanto non piu' in grado di essere autonomi) e come allenatore di baseball... e' morto a 55 anni ma la sua vita e' stata ben spesa mi sembra. Mi piacerebbe che un giorno di me si potesse dire altrettanto ma temo non sia esattamente cosi'....
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

in un lungo messaggio nel forum Evet racconta della partecipazione alla cerimonia di commemorazione per Brian Walton e dei falchi visti lungo la strada... a san jose ... poi termina con questa parte che voglio postare perche' la trovo veramente toccante.... senza esagerazioni di sorta...

After the Memorial Service, we dropped by Long Marine Lab and the Bird Group offices, to visit for a brief while in the company of such sterling people. We then went down the road a ways, and were treated to the spectacular flight of the three young Peregrines recently released -- Lil' G v. 1, and the two young of Tecate and Corona rescued from the eastern span of the Bay Bridge. It was awe-inspiring and fun and profound all at the same time. Rollling, swooping, playing tag, soaring high and five feet above the ground
-- and I'd never seen anything like it before in quite the same way (I have
seen Jose, Clara, and their 3 youngsters all barreling down 10th Street by
SJSU in San Jose recently). It's the type of flying acrobatics that takes
one's breath away -- something I'll not forget. And want to see again soon.

On the way back over the hill, we chattered along about falcons, friends,
and the revelations about Brian and all close to him at the Memorial. At
one point, Anne remarked that we had seen 6 Peregrines today -- both a
miracle and altogether in the sprit of the day.

The Peregrines are always special to see, as we all know. Today they were symbols of a life well-lived -- and for some of us always will be.

To all my fellow falcon fans,

Evet
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Bello e commevente.
Il commiato dei falchi.
Brian li amava e aveva fatto tanto per loro. Impossibile non leggere questo spettacolo di voli acrobatici come un inconsapevole dono.
E' vero, i pellegrini sono sempre speciali da vedere, ma ci sono momenti in cui la loro presenza ha un valore simbolico altissimo.
Grazie, Roxy, per aver riportato questo episodio.
Immagine
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

vi segnalo 2 video, uno recente e uno no (ma me l'ero perso cosi' l'ho visto ora pre la prima volta) dei giovani rilasciati al centro di Santa Cruz.... i 2 recuperati nel corso del banding dal lato est del bay bridge (figli di Corona e Tecate) e la piccola nata dalle uova recuperate a marzo sul lato ovest del ponte (figlia di George e Grace) ....

http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/Releases/video_player.htm
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Bellissimi!!! :D :D :D
Soprattutto il secondo. Il volo del falco è sempre una grande emozione (e il sonoro ci vuole!).Immagine
W Brian Latta!
Immagine
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

viste le immagini della "figlia del ponte" ora vi posto questo piccolo report relativo alla "figlia del nido abbandonato" che e' stata rilasciata poco piu' di una settimana fa sempre all'hack box del centro di Santa Cruz dove incrociano ancora la sorella e 2 altri falchi rialsciati con lei quasi 2 mesi fa.... (quelli del video infatti...) Nel book fotografico di sue dalton la "figlia del nido abbandonato e' citata come G2 ... la sorella piu' grande e' anche conosciuta come G o G1...

-----------------------------------------------------
Hi all, I am so sorry I wasn't able to be with you on Saturday but I
was there on Monday and got some photos and a real interesting
happening.
When we first arrived we saw G2 sitting on the building with all the
finches surrounding her. They were right next to her as if they were
being guarded by her and she seemed happy to have them beside her.
We got a few pictures and watched her trying to remove the
transponder unsuccessfully from her ankle. A few minutes later we saw
a seagull come down and bop her on the head. She just sat there as if
it never happened. Then all of a sudden she took off like a flash
towards the open space where a Norther Harrier was flying too close
for her liking. She didn't make a sound but flew right at the harrier
and kept pushing it away from her territory. Incredible sight! At one
point they both flew straight towards the ground with our lady being
the aggressor. We lost sight of them due to the fencing and then we
saw G2 soaring upwards from below all alone and quite proud of
herself. We later saw the harrier retreating in the distance. She
flew out towards the ocean then over towards the hacking box and
above the buildings then back to her perch with the finches.
She was quite the aggressive little lady. Her parents would be proud!
I got a picture of the two of them (more like a sillouette). On my
flickr page, you may need to double click it to see the whole image
with both of them.
Here's the link to copy and paste

www.flickr.com/photos/suedalton/
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

posto anche questo link a una nuova serie di foto di Glenn Neville, piu' recenti che immortalano il maschio di Corona, Tecate o come lo chiamano ora Dapper Dan...
Corona e Dapper Dan sono ora visti costantemente a San Francisco mentre non si vedeno da tempo Grace & George l'ultimo avvistamento riguarda la battaglia aerea tra i Corona e Dapper Dan e uno solo dei 2 G&G ...
Non si capisce se l'intrusione sia dovuta ai lavori sull'east span del bay bridge (viene costruito un tratto del ponte a fianco al tratto attuale, quando sara' pronto verra' letteralmente spostato a sostituire un tratto pari non piu' adeguato....) o cosa e non si sa dove e cosa sia di G&G ..Grace e' un pellegrino particolarmente possente e la sua stagione riproduttiva e' stata molto strana... George e' un maschio devotissimo invece... Devo ammettere che ho una certa preferenza per G&G e che continuo ad essere preoccupata dalla mancanza di loro avvistamenti ovunque nella baia... (non si sono visti a Auckland, non dal lato del Golden Gate, non verso sud... non su san francisco da nessuna parte....
La baia e' grande e ci sono diverse isole, possono essere ovunque. Ma lo stesso mi inquieta... Niente contro Corona e Dapper Dan... ma G&G sono arrivati prima dentro di me.......

www.raptor-gallery.com/07-24-07/index
Ultima modifica di Roxy il gio lug 26, 2007 11:27 pm, modificato 1 volta in totale.
Bloccato

Torna a “Altre birdcam 2007 (birdcams around the world)”