Falchi p. University e Gulf Tower, Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)

Qui è possibile inserire le immagini provenienti dalle birdcam del mondo
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin
città di residenza: Padova

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Flapping :!: :D
Immagine(posted by Rita)
- São aves cheias de abismo,
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Sonia
Contatta:

Re: Gulf Tower-Pittsburgh, PA

Messaggio da Sonia »

Giovanna ha scritto:Cronaca del banding at
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07136/786471-100.stm
Dicono che la madre è particolarmente aggressiva. Probabilmente è la mamma di SW (Cleveland), perciò non è affatto strano :!: :D
Comunque hanno dovuto catturarla per poter prendere i piccoli: 3 maschi e 1 femmina.
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Immagine
Non bisogna giudicare gli uomini dalle loro amicizie: Giuda frequentava persone irreprensibili! (E.M.Hemingway)

http://www.provediemozioni.it/index.php ... ale&id=234
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Immagine
I just caught this snap of Dorothy & Erie in the nest box...wondering where they all went to....the old empty nest. This years kids are really good. They are flying and they stay near the top of the building. I think it's probably because they are cleaning the building of the lower floors. They are going to start cleaning the nest box area and I'm sure Dorothy & Erie won't be too happy. The kids on the other hand won't care, they are off on their own adventures. I only saw 1 this morning and most likely it's the young female who fledged last. I have to say that the University and the company cleaning the Cathedral of Learning were very careful not to upset the falcon family. Great job and thumbs up to everyone involved with the project. I'm also sure that a couple of the kids will end up in Ohio, it seems to be a favorite with our birds...the land of their father... (Karen)
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Vi ricordate la battaglia territoriale tra Erie e un maschio sconosciuto il 18 marzo scorso? (Vedi viewtopic.php?t=66&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
prima pagina di questo stesso thread, dove si trova anche il link per lo slide show dei due falchi che lottano).
Ultimamente il nido è stato ripulito e hanno trovato e identificato i resti di quel maschio. Si trattava di "Pulse, born in 2004 at the Hilliard Road bridge in Lakewood, OH."
Tutti avevano creduto che fosse fuggito via, ma Erie gli aveva spezzato il collo..
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07184/798994-100.stm

Pittsburgh falcon defeats Cleveland's in fatal fight

Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Caretakers cleaning out a peregrine falcon nest at Pitt's Cathedral of Learning found the "withered and nearly decapitated" body of a male falcon who tried to take over the nest during the winter.

The interloper had been seen launching an attack in March. His body was discovered yesterday in a drain on the 40th floor of the Oakland landmark, which is being cleaned.

Previous story

Feuding peregrine falcons stage fight

Pitt announced today that the dead bird was named Pulse and came from Cleveland. The press release stopped short of Steelers-Browns analogies.

The fallen bird's tracking band indicated he was born in 2004.

On March 18, images from a Web camera focused on the nest showed Pulse and Erie, the resident male, slashing each other with their talons and beaks for 20 minutes before rolling out of the nest and out of view.

"Those who monitor the nest pronounced Erie the victor because of the familiar manner in which the triumphant male and the female falcon Dorothy behaved. Pulse was assumed to have flown away in defeat when he was unable to claim the mate, nest, and perch," according to the release.

Anthony Bledsoe, a lecturer of biological sciences in Pitt's School of Arts and Sciences who helps monitor the falcons, said analysis of the remains could shed light on behavior and environments of the species.

"By determining the cause of death -- which currently appears to be a massive wound to the neck -- researchers can gain insight on how falcons fight and defend themselves," the press release said.

Erie and Dorothy have lived on the Cathedral since 2002 and raised 22 chicks, including four that left the nest for good last month.

Sulle battaglie territoriali così si esprime il Dr. Harrison Tordoff:

"That's part of the normal behavior in a healthy population. There's always going to be birds contending for territory," said Bud Tordoff from the University of Minnesota, coordinator of the Midwest peregrine reintroduction.

"When they fight, they can do serious damage," Tordoff said. "I don't think they are any more murderous than robins, but robins don't have the equipment to kill each other."
ImmagineErie&Dorothy
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

E' ora di passare alla stagione 2008. :wink:
Como nos sonhos as há.