Falchi pellegrini Derby Cathedral Peregrine 2007

Qui è possibile inserire le immagini provenienti dalle birdcam del mondo
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin
città di residenza: Padova

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Lodolai dall'Inghilterra! :D :D :D
Hobbies (Falco subbuteo) nei dintorni di Derby.
Raro e veramente speciale, questo mirabile falchetto dev'essere una gioia per chi ha la fortuna di poterlo incontrare (confesso di non averlo visto mai se non in fotografia). L'ultima qui riportata è bellissima.
Monday, July 30
this morning (Tuesday)

This morning, en route to work, I diverted to check on my local pair of hobbies. These engaging little falcons are a good deal smaller than our peregrines......and much harder to find!

So I was pleased to see what I assume was the male sitting on hisfavourite dead oak branch. With his back turned to the warmth of the sun, he was quietly preening, behaviour exactly mimicking that of the male peregrine I had watched on Sunday morning on the cathedral. High up near the top of this old oak, where the crow's nest that was commandeered back in May is situated, I could hear its mate calling which gives hope that this pair have managed to keep their brood alive despite the endless days of rain.

Hobbies are acrobatic fliers and fast enough to catch swifts, swallows and martins on the wing, as this fine watercolour by Peter Partington demonstrates.
Immagine

With their rust-coloured thighs and deeply streaked breasts, their white cheeks and dark moustaches, hobbies are handsome birds for sure. No wonder that they attract the attentions of bird artists like Peter and, in more modern style, Greg Poole.
Immagine
Greg's painting captures not just the bird but also its liking for dragonflies and damselflies and the wetland habitat they occupy. In this case it is the low-lying Somerset Levels, no doubt severely flooded still.

While my very amateur digi-scoped photo below leaves a lot to be desired for sharpness, it does at least hint at the sense of mystery which surrounds this magic falcon, here keeping watch from its oak tree.
Immagine

Before long, these birds and their offspring will begin their southward migration which will take them down through France, Spain and over the Sahara to wintering grounds in southern Africa. Here they will wander across vast plains, savannah and miombo woodland, searching for thunderstorms which trigger termites to swarm in their thousands, providing a ready supply of protein-rich food.

So, a very different sort of winter lies in wait for these hobbies than the one the cathedral peregrines will experience. In complete contrast, the fledglings will stay within 50-100 miles of Derby, perching on pylons, aerial masts, tall buildings and trees too no doubt, coping with whatever our winter has to throw at them.
Nick B

ImmaginePs. And just so you know what this bird really looks like, here's a great photograph by John Miller, taken with his permission from surfbirds.com - a website which displays excellent photos of birds such as this for all to see and admire. Please note that this photo should not be used commercially or for profit without the express permission of the photographer.

Posted by Project Member (DWT)
- São aves cheias de abismo,
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Un articolo sul Derby Evening Telegraph:

CITY PEREGRINES GO GLOBAL
2 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

BY KIRSTY GREEN AND CATHERINE OAKES
NEWSDESK@.CO.UK

09:30 - 09 August 2007

Bird-watchers from across the world have made more than 200,000 visits to a website showing pictures of Derby Cathedral's peregrine falcons.

The birds have proved very popular since a webcam was set up in the tower four months ago.

Pictures of the birds have been posted on a special site to allow people to watch the nesting peregrines 24 hours a day.

And since the launch of the nestwatch site, which also includes an online blog with information about the birds, twitchers have helped clock up 202,964 hits.

Nick Brown, education manager at Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, has been overwhelmed by the interest.

He said: "It's touched the hearts and minds of people right around the planet - we have avid peregrine webcam watchers still logging on in places as far apart as Hong Kong, Australia and the USA, as well as many more nearer to home in Ripley and Derby."

People logging on to the website have watched events such as the hatching of two healthy chicks in June.

The young peregrines can now be seen flying around the city and surrounding area.

Peregrines first nested on Derby Cathedral in 2006 after a special platform was installed on the tower.

Since their arrival, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust and staff at the Cathedral have been tracking their movements.

Mr Brown and Cathedral head verger Tony Grantham have even been cleaning up the peregrines' leftovers.

The remains of 41 species of bird have been found at the Cathedral since recording started in 2005, including an Arctic tern from Sweden and five species of duck.

Mr Grantham said: "This project has brought the Cathedral and its medieval tower masses of publicity."

Councillor Alan Graves, Derby City Council's cabinet member for leisure and direct services, said: "The webcam pictures have put Derby on the global map as far as wildlife-watching is concerned.

"Coverage by television, including Springwatch on BBC2, has given our Derby falcons a really high profile."

To watch the peregrines, follow links from www.derby . gov.uk/peregrine. An online diary is at www.derbypereg rines.blogspot.com.

Reader comments
giving voice to local people

It's a joy to watch these beautiful birds in this beautiful setting. Thanks to everyone who makes this possible.
Karen Anne, New England

It was Nick and other members allowing us (who lives in other parts of the world) to experience such an amazing project on the webcams. Thank you so much !
Jennie, Hong Kong

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/displ ... layContent&
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

che dire? facciamo leggere questo messaggio e i commenti a quelli di san petronio che non sembravano particolarmente contenti di avere dei falchetti sul tetto.... :? :wink:
ma non c'e' dubbio, noi lo sappiamo sulla nostra pelle, i pellegrini (ma anche i gheppietti) sono esseri speciali con un fascino irresistibile... niente di strano che la loro vita sociale faccia innamorare cosi' tanta gente... il fatto che siano tendenzialmente fedeli al nido ed al compagno ci permette di affezionarci anno dopo anno agli stessi uccelli... li amiamo tutti.. gli animali che volano e quelli che non lo fanno, ma qualcuno lo amiamo un pochino di piu'... siamo come certe mamme che pur amando tutti i loro figli finiscono con l'avere un debole per uno in particolare...........
"Il gatto disse: non sono un amico e non sono un servitore. Sono il gatto che cammina da solo e desidero entrare nella tua tana." Rudyard Kipling
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Come sono belli!!! :D :D :D
Se penso che me li sono persi... :? :( Era una giornata di pioggia (come quasi tutte :roll: :( ) e di pellegrini nessuna traccia. Sono stata a lungo sul prato dietro alla cattedrale. Il prato finisce nel fiume, è un buon posto per i falchi.
Sunday, August 19
On Look-out

Our adult female has been much in residence on the platform in recent days. At one time all four birds - adults and parents - were seen together on the tower. Here's a recent picture taken by John Salloway, our resident expert photographer. Adult female peregrine falcon. Photo J Salloway. And here is thero adult male on top of Derby Cathedral's tower, taken a week ago. The distinctive bright yellow area around his eye is very clear to see here, and is much more pronounced than in the female, and his legs and cere (the yellow bit around his bill) also seem more strongly coloured. The horizontal adult barring is also clear to see, and John's next assignment (please) is to capture both birds in the same frame. It's likely that the adults are keen to continue establishing their presence on the tower, lest an intruder decides it would also make an ideal roosting point.

ImmagineLei (nel sito si può ingrandire la foto e ne vale la pena, è splendida!)
ImmagineLui
Le mie foto le posto un'altra volta, sono di una banalità totale!
:roll:
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Wednesday, August 29.
No news is probably good news.

Further to the comment about the lack of new postings recently and as Tony indicated, all three key partners have been taking a bit of (.......we hope you'll agree) well earned holiday last week.
I was in County Clare on the west coast of Eire where I came across peregrines on three occasions during the week, flying and in one case hunting over estuaries and coastal shores. It's always great to see them in such remote settings!
When I was a very novice bird watcher back in the 1960s, when DDT and dieldrin were doing their best to wipe them out completely, there were no peregrines in England at all. To locate one, you had to travel to somewhere like the west coast of Ireland or NW Scotland. I saw my first peregrine on Cape Clear, a remote island off the SW tip of Eire, way back in 1962. (That tells you just how long in the tooth I am!)

On getting back home this time, I made a quick trip down to the cathedral last Monday morning to check for prey remains and to see if there were any birds around. The female was on the gargoyle above the nest and I found old remains of lapwing and snipe, two commonly caught species, under the cathedral walls.

I have also caught up with my local hobbies which have now just fledged three youngsters, two months after the young peregrines fledged! I gather from the local hobby enthusiasts that, out of 23 nests visited this summer, seven (ie almost a third) have failed, the highest failure rate ever recorded by them in some 20 years of study...and all down to the awful summer weather.
The wonderful photo of a hobby is by John Miller, to whom many thanks for permission to publish it (and it IS the right way up incidentally!) To see the original post about hobbies (and another brilliant John Miller photo) go back to the blog on 31st July.
Blog fatigue....
We do hope to keep the blog going over the autumn but please be aware that there is less (or maybe nothing) to report now the breeding season is well and truly over, so finding things to write about gets harder without straying too far off topic! A little patience on your parts may therefore be required.

Immagine
E adesso le mie foto alquanto miserelle scattate a Derby in una tarda mattinata tra pioggia torrenziale e qualche modesta schiarita.
:oops: :roll:
ImmagineCathedral Green
Immaginefiume Der
Immaginesempre il Green dietro l'abside.
Credo che avrei dovuto prendere contatto via mail prima di partire con uno dei membri del 'project', però avevo postato un paio di volte nel loro blog (accennando che su birdcam c'è un thread dedicato ai falchi di Derby) e non ho ricevuto la minima attenzione.. :(
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Niseema

Messaggio da Niseema »

dai gio, le tue foto vanno benissimo! grazie! :)
Roxy

Messaggio da Roxy »

non ti dispiacere se non hanno risposto in piena stagione venivano molto messaggiati e penso per il loro forum fosse il primo anno. Immagino che postando messaggi ora qualcosa di attenzione in piu' potresti avere...

nelle tue foto non ci si vedono falchi, ma abbiamo visto che per avere foto belle dei falchi Raptorbiol viaggia con la sua macchina e il nuovo mirabolante e costosissimo obiettivo che ha la misura di un bimbo di 5 anni.... considerando al tua stazza, direi che a te serve una carriola per portarti dietro una cosa del genere !!! :wink: :lol:

Per rendere l'idea del luogo le tue foto sono ottime!!
"Il gatto disse: non sono un amico e non sono un servitore. Sono il gatto che cammina da solo e desidero entrare nella tua tana." Rudyard Kipling
Giovanna
Site Admin
Site Admin

Messaggio da Giovanna »

Veramente, neanche l'ultimo mio post ha avuto riscontro..
ma non importa, alla prossima occasione cercherò di prendere contatti più diretti.
I falchi non c'erano proprio, neanche avessi avuto quell'aggeggino da carriola avrei potuto fotografare qualcosa che non fosse la chiesa o le anatroccole... :lol:
Grazie, ragazze, per l'apprezzamento!!!
Troppo buone!
:D :D :D :wink:
Como nos sonhos as há.
- Fernando Pessoa
Bloccato

Torna a “Altre birdcam 2007 (birdcams around the world)”